A/Prof Chandra Bala
Refractive Laser Vision Correction Surgeon
BSc(Med)(Hons I), MBBS(Hons I), PhD, FRANZCO
Associate Professor Chandra Bala specialises in cataract, cornea and refractive surgery at personalEYES, Sydney, and is also a clinical associate professor at the Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University.
He graduated from the University of Sydney with class 1 Honours and completed an additional eight years of research where he was awarded a Bachelor of Science (Med) with class 1 Honours. He then went on to complete ophthalmic training at the Sydney Eye Hospital and Westmead Hospital and has a PhD in ophthalmology.
Associate Professor Bala has completed multiple fellowships under leading surgeons in Australia and throughout Europe, including a glaucoma fellowship with Associate Professor Paul Healy (Westmead Hospital, NSW), a cornea fellowship with Dr Gerrit Melles (Holland) and a refractive fellowship with Dr Ioannis Aslanides (Greece).
He is a member of the Board of Examiners for Ophthalmic Sciences, RANZCO specialist training programme, and has been published in both national and international peer reviewed journals. He has ongoing involvement in teaching and training undergraduate and post graduate medical students in ophthalmology and visual science.
- Novel Topical therapy for corneal blood staining
Chan, T., White, A., Meades, K. and Bala, C., Y. Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. Clinical Experimental Ophthalmology, 2017. 45(4): p. 416-418
- Intereye comparison of femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery capsulotomy & manual capsulorhexis edge strength
Chan, T., U. Pattamatta, M., Butlin, K. Meades, and Bala,C. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2017. 43(4): p. 480-485
- Transection and explantation of intraocular lenses using femtosecond lasers
Bala, C., Pattamatta, U., Chan, T., J. Shi, and K. Meades, J Cataract Refract Surg 2017. 43: 420-423
- Intracameral antibiotic: the Vancomycin conundrum
C. Bala, Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2016. 44: 753-754
- Intraocular lens fragmentation using femtosecond laser; an in-vitro study
Bala, C., J. Shi, and K. Meades, Translational Vision Science & Technology, 2015. 4(3): p. 1-8
- Electron microscopy of laser capsulotomy edge: Interplatform comparison
Bala, C., Y. Xia, and K. Meades, J Cataract Refract Surg, 2014. 40(8): p. 1382-9.
- Improvement in vision with inverted placement of an asymmetric refractive multifocal intraocular lens
Bala, C. and K. Meades, J of Cataract Refractive Surg, 2014. 40(5): p. 833-5.
Published on Journal Covers
Intereye Comparison of Femtosecond Laser-assisted Cataract Surgery Capsulotomy and Manual Capsulorhexis Edge Strength
- SBS – World News
The possibilities are endless – Professor Chandra Bala explores pioneering treatments (video and article)
- SBS – World News Radio
Professor Chandra Bala eyes off new ways to save sight (audio and article)
- Channel 7– Today Tonight
Eye Tattoo Risks (video)
- Channel 7 NEWS – Sydney
Macular Degeneration Treatment (video)
- Eye World – Capsular strength femtosecond vs manual cataract surgery
Femtosecond vs Manual Cataract Surgery (video)
- Eye World – Femtosecond technology cutting Intraocular iols
Femtosecond Laser Technology – Cutting Intraocular IOLs (video)